Social media revolves around our need to socialize with other people. For the naturally sociable people, striking up a conversation is not going to be a problem. But how about the innate introverted ones?
But even the chattiest of people will have a problem getting a conversation started when nobody’s replying. It’s just like talking in a room with no people – the only sound you hear would be your own.
If this was the case, how can you get a conversation started?
1. Be the guy everybody can relate to. By showing people that you’re just like the average person, you make it easier for them to relate and get a better grip of what you’re talking about. Once they’re able to relate to what you’re saying, you can expect comments to start coming in.
2. Bank on what’s new. People are innately curious about things that are new. Writing about new technologies, recently released services, and updates on existing content will pick your reader’s interest and get them to start sharing what they think of what you wrote.
3. A picture is worth a thousand words. Adding unique and interesting images on your post can get people talking. If not about the content, then at least about the picture itself. Once you get the comment ball rolling, you can start steering the conversation towards the direction you want it to go.
4. Shine the light on others. Showcase people in your community by either writing a feature article about them, or by letting them do a guest post on your site. When people see that they’re valued and given a chance under the spotlight, they won’t hesitate to start commenting on your posts.
How about you? How do you encourage people to pitch in on the conversation? Care to share your time-tested tips over at the comments section?
Related articles by Zemanta
- What’s the purpose of social media? (bigsexymedia.com)
- Giving Back To The Community Is Good Marketing… (thecustomercollective.com)
- What To Measure In Social Media (slideshare.net)